Safety and Emergency Preparedness for Disaster
As a nation and community we have always faced challenges in one form or another. Some of the hazards we are more familiar with are of a natural nature, such as fire, floods, and earthquakes. Other hazards have been of a manmade technological nature, such as hazardous material spills and transportation accidents. Now we have added a third category known as intentional attempts to cause damage and harm, or terrorism. Although we have added this new threat, our approach is the same.
THE KEY TO SAFETY IS "Awareness and Preparedness" knowing what to do and when to do it.
Know your surroundings, local and national situation and conditions, threat level, and local warnings.
- Including what should or should not be in a particular area
- Notice unattended packages in key locations.
- Inappropriate vehicles parked close to buildings.
- Stay informed.
- Listen to the radio or television for up-to-date information.
- Know adverse weather conditions such as high winds, rain and floods.
Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead.
- Create an Emergency Plan.
- Prepare a Disaster Supplies Kit.
- Develop a home escape plan.
For information regarding various volunteer opportunities throughout the City of El Mirage contact the Fire Department at 623-583-7968.
Emergency Preparedness Related Organizations
American Red Cross
Arizona Division of Emergency Management
Maricopa Department of Emergency Management
Office of the Governor City of Phoenix Emergency Management
Federal Department of Homeland Security
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Emergency Preparedness Related Links
Find Your Local American Red Cross Location
Emergency Readiness for Kids