I Want to Volunteer
The City of El Mirage encourages involvement in our City through volunteerism. Many services are enhanced because of the generosity of time given by our citizens and citizens of surrounding areas. Volunteers enable the City to stretch tax dollars and improve the community in many ways.
City of El Mirage and Partner Volunteer Opportunities
- Special Events
- Fire Department
- Police Department
- Police Explorer Post #2780
- Dysart Community Center
- Northwest valley family YMCA
- Community Uplift Program (CUP)
Come volunteer at City Special Events!
Volunteer duties may include handing out bottled water, handing out flyers or other information, working in the information booth, working at the Arts and Crafts tent, other assorted duties. Events are four hours in length on either Friday evenings or Saturdays. For more information on volunteering at Special Events contact Jeffrey Anderson, Special Events Coordinator, at – email@example.com.
Volunteers and Fire Cadets
The EMFD Volunteer Program is for individuals interested in learning about a career in the fire service. EMFD Volunteers will receive direction and mentorship from full time EMFD Firefighters. In return, they will provide volunteer services to the City of El Mirage. EMFD Volunteers that decide to pursue a fire service career may also apply for Fire Academy sponsorship from The City of El Mirage Fire Department.
EMFD Volunteer Minimum Requirements:
- 18 Years of age or older;
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency;
- Possess and maintain a valid Arizona Driver’s License;
- Must successfully complete a City of El Mirage background examination;
- Must have the ability to purchase required uniforms (Black boots, black belt, blue duty pants, Gray EMFD Volunteer Shirt/ Optional items: EMFD blue baseball hat labeled Volunteer on back) or (Black boots, black belt, blue duty pants, Optional: EMFD blue baseball hat labeled “Volunteer” in the color Red / Fire Volunteer shirt will be provided);
- Ability to read, write and speak English;
- Must maintain acceptable attendance record in accordance with program requirements;
- Ability to purchase required uniforms (Black boots, black belt, blue duty pants, Optional: EMFD blue baseball hat labeled “Volunteer” in the color Red / Fire Volunteer shirt will be provided).
For more information regarding volunteer opportunities with the El Mirage Fire Department contact Interim Fire Chief Chris Richardson at – firstname.lastname@example.org.
El Mirage Police Department Volunteer Program
The El Mirage Police Department welcomes individuals interested in volunteering in various capacities for the department. Volunteers may assist in the Victim Assistance Unit, Investigations, Patrol, or Administration under the direction of a full-time EMPD employee.
EMPD Volunteer Minimum Requirements:
- 18 Years of age or older
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency
- Possess and maintain a valid Arizona Driver’s License
- Successful completion of comprehensive EMPD background process including criminal history check, polygraph examination, and drug screen. (Potential disqualifiers include, but are not limited to drug use, criminal behavior, patterns of disregard for traffic laws, disregard for financial responsibility. Situations are reviewed on a case by case basis.)
- Ability to read, write and speak English
For more information regarding volunteer opportunities with the El Mirage Police Department, please contact Aimee Currey, email@example.com.-
El Mirage Police Explorers Program
Police Explorers are young persons with an interest in law enforcement and community service as a career. The Explorer program is an intensive, long-term process designed to assist youth in meeting the hiring requirements of local police departments. As the hiring standards for police employees are very high, our program seeks to select Explorers who can commit several years of study and participation in order to best achieve their career goals.
Overview of Explorer Selection Process
• Be between 14 1/2 and 20 ½.
• Have completed the 8th grade.
• Bring proof of a C average or better in school.
• Be free of felony arrests, current drug or alcohol use, and criminal activity.
• Attend two general meetings a month.
• Submit required application forms and pass a background check.
• Complete a 2 week academy in the summer, monthly training, and six-month probation period.
Applicants and their parent/guardian are encouraged to attend a meeting to have their questions answered about the Explorer program. If however, more information is required prior to attending a meeting, the Explorer Advisor, Sergeant Chris Culp, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dysart Community Center has been serving the community for over 56 years. Our mission is to empower families with the tools and skills necessary to improve their lives and build self-sufficiency. Only through your support are we able to offer services to local children and families. We have volunteer opportunities to suit everyone. You can work with children and youth in our youth programs, help with our cooking program for kids, help teach a student working on their GED, assist adult learners with English Lessons, help to teach a Citizenship Class, assist with cleaning and organizing classrooms and outdoor areas, help out in the office or help with our First Saturday Free Food Pantry.
We welcome all types of experience and provide all training, orientation, background checks and support. For as little as two hours each week you can make a huge difference in the lives of those we serve. Please help us provide opportunities for a better life to our neighbors in need.
Please call Annie Ansell, Executive Director at email@example.com, or stop by the center 14414 N. El Mirage Road to find out more about our Volunteer opportunities and have a site tour.or email
The Northwest Valley Family YMCA offers numerous programs and activities that we are constantly seeking volunteers to help with. From leadership roles to offering your motivational support, we have the perfect volunteer opportunity available for you. Some of these opportunities include:
• Join the Advisory Board or one of our committees
• Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community
• Coach our sports teams and teach many of our classes
• Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals
• Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more or live healthier
• Advocate for the Y’s efforts to influence policies and initiatives that positively impact societal issues of importance to the nation, and your community
• Participate in opportunities to give back and support neighbors
• Member service volunteer, or member attendant
For more information on volunteer opportunities at the Y, please contact Elise Nilles, Membership Experience Director, at - Elise.Nilles@vosymca.org.
Looking to give back to the Community of El Mirage?We are always looking for new volunteers too!
Neighbors Helping Neighbors!
In life, things change. Sometimes we find ourselves needing some extra help we didn’t plan for. The purpose of this program is to provide assistance to home owners or occupants of residential properties. Our focus are residents who are elderly, disabled, or experiencing a financial constraint making it difficult to maintain landscape, unable to afford paint and maintain aging, blighted building exteriors. We offer landscape maintenance and property improvements by the use of volunteer labor and materials.
Do you meet the program criteria for annual income? Use the Annual Income Guideline chart on the right for reference. (these limits are determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
If you need help and believe your income meets the financial criteria, please fill out the application on the reverse side. Please mail or bring this application to:
City of El Mirage CUP Program
13601 N. El Mirage Rd. El Mirage, AZ 85335 Or
Dysart Community Center 14414 N. El Mirage Rd PO Box 716
El Mirage, AZ 85335
For any questions contact Interim Fire Chief Chris Richardson at – firstname.lastname@example.org.